Calendar of Events

All Congregation B'nai Israel events can be found HERE!

Donate Now

To make a donation, please download the contribution form.

Listen to Services

We hope you will join us for Shabbat services in the B'nai Israel sanctuary, but if you are unable to be with us, we invite you to participate in our congregation's services through our internet broadcast. Click here to access.

Kindergarten and First Grade Curriculum

Our goals for the Chavaya kindergarten and first grade class are to introduce students to the Hebrew language, fundamental prayers, Torah stories, holidays and symbols of their Jewish heritage. By familiarizing students with the synagogue's features, the Shabbat and holiday rituals, and the Alef-bet, we hope to lay the foundations for a lifetime of engagement with their Jewish identity and community.

Our curriculum will approach these goals with an emphasis on experiential learning of the following components:

Hebrew Language and Prayer Skills

Students will begin the study of Hebrew language and prayer. Students will learn to:

  • Identify all of the Hebrew letters
  • Count to ten in Hebrew
  • Identify major body parts in Hebrew 
  • Recite fluently:
    • Blessings for thanks (bread, wine, fruits and vegetables)
    • Blessings for Mitzvot (Shabbat and Hanukkah candles, Shehechiyanu)

Jewish Identity and Customs

Students will become familiar with the Jewish Holidays as well as Shabbat traditions and rituals. Students will learn to:

  • Understand that Shabbat and the Jewish calendar are different and special
  • Recognize basic symbols and rituals associated with the Jewish holidays (the shofar, matzah, etc)
  • Learn to set a Shabbat table with candles, challah, wine
  • Recognize the elements of the Havdalah ceremony
  • Learn Shabbat songs and stories
  • Participate in creative projects to make Shabbat and holiday ceremonial objects

Jewish Values 

Students will be introduced to:

  • The concept of creation
  • The importance of doing mitzvahs
  • The value of Tzadakah, giving and making the world a more just place
  • The value of Shalom Bayit, peace in the home, and how they can help make a peaceful home
  • The value of Hachnasat Orchim, welcoming guests
  • The value of Tikkun Olam, healing the world


Meet Our K-1 Teachers!


Eliza Israel

I was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida. In Jacksonville, I went to a Jewish day school from kindergarten through eighth grade. We spent 40% of our day, everyday, focusing on Jewish studies and the remaining 60% focused on your traditional school subjects. I am currently a Junior at the University of Florida pursuing a dual degree in Early Childhood Education and Psychology. Being able to work in Hebrew school lets me combine two things that I love - Judaism and teaching!  I really like to read, paint, and hike in my free time and am super into following college football. 





Lauren Husney

I am a first-year graduate student at the University of Florida in the Audiology clinical doctoral program. I was born and raised in Marietta, GA (a suburb of Atlanta) and I received my Bachelor’s degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders from the University of Georgia (sorry, go dawgs). I have always loved working with kids and have taught preschool-elementary programs at synagogues in both Athens and Atlanta. B’nai Israel and the Jewish community have really made me feel welcome and at home while I’m here in Gainesville. I am so excited to be teaching Sunday School again and I look forward to a wonderful year!